In response to a PJRC request, Paul Sullivan of Veterans for Common Sense is suggesting the following platform for addressing the needs of veterans from the era of the Gulf war, and Iraq and Afghanistan wars:
- Extending the five years of free VA healthcare for to free healthcare for life.
- Expanding the geographic location for the Gulf War to include Afghanistan so there is no excuse by VA to delay or deny coverage.
- Create a Trust Fund, advocated by Linda Bilmes, so that when a war starts, money must be set aside for healthcare and benefits for veterans.
- Transforming Veterans Day as a day to listen to veterans' stories about war. If we are to prevent war, we must listen to our veterans. That's the original reason for "Armistice Day."
- An accountability project, or truth commission, to set the historical record straight. Even if Obama won't prosecute, our history books must show the Bush administrations lied to start a 21-year war for oil and hegemony in the Middle East.
- Public education about PTSD and TBI so the public understands and does not discriminate against veterans and so veterans will want to seek VA care. For example, what is PTSD? What is TBI? Where can veterans get help? How many have sought help?
- Exposing the vicious anti-veteran positions of extremist neoconservative / Tea Party / Republicans. For example, Huntsman’s plan to tax service members combat pay in war zones, Huntsman’s plan to tax veterans' disability benefits, Bachmann's plans to cut billions in VA healthcare, and worse.